Saturday, December 6, 2008

Best Canadian Blogs

I feel so blessed to have... no, no, wait. If there is a God, I don't think that s/he spends time making sure that I am supplied with great electronics.

As a result of 50+ years of good choices, good fortune, good karma and hard work I get to spend weekend mornings in my wireless city condo, next to my loving husband, cozy in our robes, macBooks in our laps. No, no, wait. If I have great computer stuff and you have a dumb Dell, I don't mean that you aren't making good choices and don't have good karma and aren't working hard enough.

Nevermind. The kitties are snoring nearby, coffee is at hand, our cd-less invisible music collection is flowing through our magical wireless rooms and nothing interrupts our serene internet browsing of the blogs except when we say to each other, "this is great I'll send you the link." Which all brings me to this new discovery.

2008 Best Canadian Blogs


You very likely do other things with your life and don't have time to check out all of the nominees, so I'll make this easy by sharing my own picks from the only categories that I care about.

Best Canadian Sports blog
- FoodCourtLunch. I'm linking you straight to General Tao's The Year in Sports. Great video and funny barstool banter in the comments between General Tao, Chief Wahoo, Weed Against Speed, and Lars.

Best Canadian Activity Blog
- Yarn Harlot. In my dream of being a more productive person living a better life, I knit, purl and crochet instead of type, read and browse. Stephanie is just amazing. The socks, the philosophy, the explanation of the Canadian system of government, and the inspirational Knitters Without Borders.

Best Canadian Cultural/Entertainment Blog
- Mike's Bloggity Blog. Huh. Canadians have their own tv shows and stuff but they also watch ER. That's all sort of interesting. But I'm linking you straight to the nominee for Best Canadian Blog Post - The Comb-over Revolution.

Best Canadian Feminist Blog - Anti-Choice is Anti-Awesome. This daily life blog comes from a 24-year-old coordinator of volunteers at one of Canada's Morgentaler Clinics. Dr. Morgentaler is an 85-year-old holocaust survivor who performed abortions in Canada when they were illegal, was repeatedly charged-acquitted-charged (add in some "pro-life" death threats and clinic bombings) until Canadian law changed. In 2008 he was named to the Order of Canada in recognition of his work for women's health care and humanitarianism. Carry on, next generation of volunteers.

Best Canadian Photo/Art Blog
- Animal Effigy. Photos by Dani, animal effigist and ceramic duck owner.

Best Canadian Humor Blog - Useless Advice from Useless Men. Not sure what to do about computer engineer friends who may be ninjas with mystical powers and may be mad at you? Then you should be reading this Q&A a day from the advice columnist who at lease once signed off with "any more useless and I'd be a cat." I love uselessness. Especially on Saturdays.

The rest of the categories didn't grab me. There is a political category, but even the Canadian knitting bloggers are writing about Stephen Harper right now. I noticed that there is no category for best food blog. Positively un-American and I consider our Canadian brothers and sisters to be fellow North Americans. So I'll just remind everyone about Canadian Dreena Burton's Viva Le Vegan blog. Maybe the 2009 Canadian blog awards will help me find less famous foodies.

Canadian or American, it looks like hard times ahead for bloggers that no karma or hard work can prevent. Fortunately, President Elect Obama seems to understand that investment in social infrastructure is essential if we are to hold our economy together. I am looking forward to a nation of wireless cities, beginning here in our great capitol district. I think we will survive if I can just hold onto my MacBook Air, iphone, apple TV, and a decent headset. But I am counting on free wireless when our condo converts to a homeless shelter.

Uh-oh, it's past noon. Damn. The coffee pot is empty and we're out of Cheerios. I guess I'll go see what's new on my blogline feeds.

No comments: