Thursday, May 6, 2010

Lost Thursday: What I don't know and might find out next week.





It's LOST day after Tuesday so let's cut right to the chase.


I was righteously pissed but now I'm getting past it


Damn, every once in a while I post a comment on someone else's LOST blog, but usually I drift into "if this whole story is some Christian message" or "if a show that has one of the best stories and most diverse (realistic) casts ends up being another 'white guy with black-ish friend gets hot white chick' flicks, I'm outa here." I thought that when Michael and Walt left. I thought it again when Eko died. Then Naomi. Then Abbadon. Sure, white people die too. But do any people "of color" get to live? 


But I haven't been thinking that for a while now. Then suddenly, all the cast members who are not white (Sayid, Sun, Jin) die! Okay, maybe Rose is out there living a happy island life with Bernard, but we haven't seen nearly enough of her. So Sayid, Sun and Jin dying in one episode pissed me off. Then I thought these deaths are warming us up for more deaths. So it is even harder to accept the white people deaths and we need to knock off these people to get us ready to deal with what comes next week? No, no, no and no. Not for me. I don't accept the brown deaths to help me accept the white deaths. And then I am supposed to accept that if there is one last white man/candidate left standing it will be a man. Not a woman. (Does anyone think Kate will be the last Candidate standing? Claire?)


Then today I thought, okay. 


#1. This white people are the center of the story rule is almost every novel, every TV show, every movie. (Unless it's a "black" novel, TV show or movie.) Why do I require that LOST, one of the best, somehow live in another sideways reality in which this is not the rule? I wish they could overcome, but why single out a darn good show for punishment, when it is like this all over TV?


#2. No blogs I read are thinking what I'm thinking. I'm thinking, this is so racist. They are saying, Oooh Sayid is such a great hero. Oooh, Sun and Jin have a great love, like Leo and Kate on the Titanic. I want a Jin-Sun love.


#3. Sun, Jin and Sayid are all still alive in sideways reality so we'll see them again next week.


#4. I must carry on. There are so many questions I must answer.


Who's Jack's ex?


Huh. Ufoundme on the Lost Blog says s/he thinks Jack's ex-wife is Penny Milton. (Penny's last name is Milton?) I've been thinking it's Juliet and that Juliet will also show up as an OB/GYN. She'll save Sun's baby and deliver Claire's too. Then she'll meet Sawyer for coffee and he'll wake up. Because Juliet is just that awesome. Maybe next week we'll find out who's right.


Who was The Last Recruit? Who is Jack's true love?
And Lostgrrl on Lost Blog makes a good point. Two weeks ago, in The Last Recruit, most of us assumed that when Jack jumps ship, he is the last recruit to Smokeness Lockster's team. But maybe the meaning of the episode title is that Sayid is the last recruit to Desmond's team. As Lostgrrl says, "Sideways Des is certainly “recruiting.” I wonder why it was so important for him to facilitate the Claire/Jack meeting?" Who will wake them up? Will Claire meet Charlie? Who is Jack's true grrl love? Does he have one? Will true love wake them up or do they need to be hit by a car?


Who is The Candidate?
That's the title for tonight's episode. Given that in The Last Recruit Jack jumped ship and Desmond arranged the Claire/Jack meeting, then Jack appeared to be in the know and so brave in The Candidate, Jack is clearly either the Candidate or his actions are very important to protect and guide the Candidate. So I am guessing it's Jack, Aaron, or Locke. But I would love to be surprised with someone else entirely. 


Maybe the Claire/Jack meeting could prompt Jack to understand that Aaron is the Candidate. Jack could still convince Locke to go for the  surgery that could mean Locke and can walk anywhere and everywhere. See my LOST weekend post for my theory that a young Locke might be the Jungle Boy. Now I'll add that Smokeness Lockster spends a lot of time dissing my main LOST man, John Locke. I don't know about you, but I can't put up with that. Man in Black is not only Jacob's nemesis, he is Locke's nemesis. Remember Sayid tells Jack, "you're the one." Jack tell's Locke "I think you're a candidate." Is Jack awake? When did that happen? Or is Jack the one always awake, in every timeline? Maybe that tattoo won't let him sleep. Does Sayid mean Jack is the candidate or Jack is the one who has to do something to protect the candidiate?


Will Jack be the last man standing on the island? Or is Jack doing what it takes to bring Locke back to the island? Or maybe to bring Aaron back to the island? Or everyone back to the island to do what they now know they were meant to do?


Smoke and water, volcanoes and ash


Remember when Ben, Annie and the Dharma kids'  got a lesson in volcanoes from teacher Olivia Goodspeed? Who, with her husband Horace, helped the off island Linus family when Ben was born and Emily died in childbirth?


Are those ash circles and little bags of ash Jacob's ashes or volcano ashes? Or one and the same, if Jacob is the island and the island was formed by a volcano?


Can Smokeness Lockster travel over water without a boat? Walk through pylons? Why or why not? Talk amongst yourselves.


And sticks and backpacks
What's with Smokeness Lockester's stick? Is it Eko's stick? And backpacks? This week, didn't Smocke Flocke abandon his backpack in a few scenes? Then it appeared again and he gave it to Jack loaded with a bomb, right? And where did he leave that big Eko stick?


Locke to Flocke Smocke
So think about it. Locke turned the donkey wheel, landed in Tunisia, Widmore met him and set him up with Abbadon and off Locke went to round up the survivors to fly back to the island on Ajira. Our survivors aren't going for Locke's argument. He thinks he's failed and plans to hang himself, but Ben shows up and, after getting information to lead the way to Eloise, Ben kills Locke.


After Ajira lands, Ilana and Bram notice Flocke standing at the edge of the water wearing a suit. Ilana knows that this man was not on the plane. Flocke tells Ilana that he is dressed up because he was going to buried in that suit. He tells her he doesn't remember being on the plane, but he does remember dying. Flocke Smocke shows up right by the water, gazing out at the main island. He seems to walk right out of the water, but now we also think he can't travel over, through or get in water. Wassup?


Who's gonna die?
We didn't see people we care about die at the Temple, did we? Ilana's blow up was just to get us used to the inevitable. So the message of Ilana's death was, people we know are gonna die. They did. Who's next? Sawyer, Kate, Hurley or Jack? Miles, Ben or Alpert?


The last picture show?
This season we saw promo pictures that posed our cast at the Last Supper. I never totally got that. Who's giving who what sort of look and why? Which cast member is the Judas Iscariot? This I can understand. Here are the candidates in front of an island barracks style structure.


And last, 


I'm totally hoping that:

Jack operates on Locke
Sawyer arrives at the hospital to investigate Sun's shooting

Juliet delivers Sun's baby and saves Sun's life
Juliet walks to the next room and says, Okay, I might as well deliver Claire's baby Aaron while I'm at it
Sawyer and Juliet meet and say, hey, I love you won't you tell me your name and let's go have coffee
Locke wakes up from Jack's surgery, walks, and says "we have to go back to the island! Yes -- again!"
Locke and Helen have a very heartbreaking conversation about that and I'm crying
Locke and Jack get all the sideways people together again one last time
They go to the island -- again! -- and Lapidus flies the plane
This time they all finally know what they are supposed to do
Christian Shepherd tells Vincent the doggy, go wake up my son, he has work to do
Jack opens his eyes back on the beach -- again!
Everyone does what they have to do
They save the world, the planet and the human race
There are lots of sacrifices, two lovers have to become white stone/black stone Dharma suited Adam and Eve 


but ....
Claire sings Catch a Falling Star and Rousseau sings La Mer
Penny and Desmond are reunited and live happily every after
The end!

Do you remember Rousseau's music box song, La Mer? It was played by Rousseau's music box, which was fixed by Sayid, but he stole Rousseau's map of the island, which was written in French, but Shannon translated it, and on the map was scribbled the words to the song:


Somewhere beyond the sea,
Somewhere, waiting for me,
My lover stands on golden sands
And watches the ships that go sailing;
Somewhere beyond the sea,
He's (She's) there watching for me.
If I could fly like birds on high,
Then straight to his (her) arms I'd go sailing.
It's far beyond a star,
It's near beyond the moon,
I know beyond a doubt
My heart will lead me there soon.
We'll meet beyond the shore,
We'll kiss just as before.
Happy we'll be beyond the sea,
And never again I'll go sailing


And Catch a Falling Star

Catch a falling star and put it in your pocket
Never let it fade away
Catch a falling star and put it in your pocket
Save it for a rainy day
For love may come and tap you on the shoulder
Some starless night
Just in case you feel you wanna hold her
You’ll have a pocketful of starlight
Catch a falling star and put it in your pocket
Never let it fade away
Catch a falling star and put it in your pocket
Save it for a rainy day
For love may come and tap you on the shoulder
Some starless night
And just in case you feel you wanna hold her
You’ll have a pocketful of starlight
Catch a falling star and put it in your pocket
Never let it fade away
Catch a falling star and put it in your pocket
Save it for a rainy day
For when your troubles start multiplyin’
And they just might
It’s easy to forget them without tryin’
With just a pocketful of starlight
Catch a falling star and put it in your pocket
Never let it fade away
Catch a falling star and put it in your pocket
Save it for a rainy day
Save it for a rainy day


OH boo hoo hoo! LOST is so great and so sad... I'm hanging in there.

No comments: