Monday, May 3, 2010

Music Monday: Baaba Maal

Here's my pic for another Music Monday post. Since I've done two music posts on a Monday now, I can say that this is a regular feature of my blog, right?

This is Baaba Maal. He's Senegalese, sings in French and Pulaar, has been recording music for 20 years and performs all over the world. Here's one from his newest cd "Television" or "L'homme dans le television."







Baaba Maal says about this song, "The television set is like a stranger you didn’t ask for coming into your living-room. You don’t care about who he is: he just seems to come from nowhere and gives you information." 

Baaba Maal is touring the U.S. and was just here in D.C. at the Lisner Auditorium. His 2009 tour  included this performance of "African Women" for Mandela Day in New York. 




He says, "I use that song to talk about how women can be much more powerful in Africa, which can be really helpful for the entire continent. We should encourage that, and I sing about it to give them more power." If you want more (I sure did) you'll find Baaba Maal on youtube and his official website. You can buy his music just about everywhere and of course, study up on wikipedia.


Cool dude.

No comments: